Case Antiques, Inc. Auctions & Appraisals
Virginia Frye-Martin School 18th century Bookcase on Bureau- $93,600
Virginia 18th century bookcase on bureau attributed to the Frye-Martin school of Winchester. Walnut primary, yellow pine secondary. The upper case features a broken arch scroll pediment, carved floral rosettes, applied arch string tympanum molding, and arched stop-fluted quarter columns. The lower bureau features a pull out writing surface above four graduated drawers flanked by arch stop-fluted quarter columns, resting on ogee bracket feet. Hand forged iron door latch on the bookcase consists of an iron strap spring with a heart shaped terminus. Retains the original surface. For other examples of furniture from this school, refer to "The Furniture of Winchester, Virginia", Wallace Gusler, American Furniture 1997 Edited by Luke Beckerdite, pp. 228-265. Various inscriptions on the writing surface include, "Harriet swallowed a fly this morning September 29, 1848", "C. P. Bachardson Savannah Georgia", "Holliday Baltimore Md December 1862", "Given to Douglas Borum July 9th 1928 by his Mother", "Douglas Borum", "C.J. Borum 1902 Oct 1" and various other illegible inscriptions. This is currently the only known bookcase on bureau form from the Frye-Martin group. 93 1/4" H x 42" W x 23" D. Provenance: The bookcase and bureau was given to Douglas Borum (1882-1945) of Southwestern Virginia by his mother, Caroline Borum (1852-1941), on July 9th, 1928 (detailed on the writing slide of the bookcase on bureau). Caroline Borum was married to Captain Calvin Monroe Borum (1842-1921). Caroline was the heir of her family home, Spengler Hall in Strasburg, Virginia. The Borums renamed the house ìMatin Hillî after the hill on which the home was built. The diary accompanying the bookcase and bureau was written during the Borum ownership from a period 1861-1869. Carolineís father was Samuel Kendrick (1802 – ?). Samuel purchased Spengler Hall from his first cousin Joseph Spengler, who inherited the home from his father, Anthony Spengler/Spangler, in 1834. Anthony Spangler (1774-1834) began building Spangler Hall around 1800. Spangler Hall is a large brick house directly off Route 11 in Strasburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia and is noted for its sophisticated interior woodwork. Note – this lot also contains a handwritten journal with the inscription "July 1861 Names of the Soldiers who have called at Matin Hill". The next two pages list various Confederate soldiers from Virginia and Mississippi regiments. Also included in the journal are various songs and poems including a "Farewell to the Star Spangled Banner" dated July 6th, 1863. Other inscribed names include "Crawford", and "Charles OMalley The Irish Dragoon".
MORE FEATURED ITEMS FROM THIS AUCTIONEER