Ronald Phillips, Ltd.
Pair of George II Walnut Library Armchairs- Price Upon Request
A PAIR OF GEORGE II WALNUT LIBRARY ARMCHAIRS ATTRIBUTED TO GILES GRENDEY A pair of mid 18th century carved walnut Gainsborough armchairs attributed to the workshop of Giles Grendey, each having an upholstered back with stuffed arms on down-swept walnut supports with floral paterae and acanthus carved base joined to the front of the seat, upholstered in cerise close nailed silk damask; on cabriole legs with hipped knees carved with acanthus and terminating in paw feet with concealed leather castors. Note: Each chair is marked ‘WF’ to the underside. The letters refer to an apprentice in Grendey' s workshop to distinguish between the workmen. This practise is a common feature with Grendey furniture. Another pair with the same boldly carved legs and probably from the same set were advertised by Charles Lumb & Sons in ‘The Antique Collector’ magazine in 1953. The chairs retain all their original rails, the leather castors have been replaced. English, circa 1745 Height: 38 ¼ in; 97 cm Height: of seat: 16 in; 41 cm Width: 31 ½ in; 80 cm Depth: 31 ¾ in; 80.5 cm Literature: ‘Antique Collector’, August 1953, p. XVII, advertisement; a pair from the same set with Charles Lumb & Sons Ltd, Harrogate.
MORE FEATURED ITEMS FROM THIS DEALER