Published: June 22, 2004
The Brandywine River Museum is offering educational tours of the historic Kuerner Farm. For more than 70 years, the farm has been a major source of inspiration to Andrew Wyeth.
Since his earliest painting of the farm in 1932 at the age of 15, Wyeth has found subjects in its people, animals, buildings and landscapes for nearly 1,000 works of art. Guided tours of the farm allow visitors to explore Wyeth art and view areas of the property depicted in many of his works.
Through November 21, tours are being offered at timed intervals, Wednesday through Sunday. The tour fee is $5 per person in addition to museum admission. The tours depart from the Brandywine River Museum by shuttle bus. Due to uneven walking surfaces, the Kuerner Farm is not accessible to disabled individuals.
On one of his boyhood walks, Wyeth discovered Karl and Anna Kuerner’s farm, located approximately one mile from his parents’ home in Chadds Ford. Wyeth was intrigued by the Kuerners, who emigrated from Germany, and by Karl Kuerner’s stories of his service in the German army during World War I. The Kuerners had strong ties to their heritage, continuing to speak Ger-man and socializing mostly with other German immigrants. Wyeth was one exception. As a young artist, he developed a close relationship with the Kuerners, and after years of gaining their trust, he was permitted to roam the property freely – even inside the house – to draw and paint.
Many of Wyeth’s best known works of art have emerged from his long fascination with the farm, including “Winter 1946,” 1946; “Groundhog Day,” 1959; “Evening at Kuer-ners,” 1970; “Young Bull,” 1960; “Spring Fed,” 1967; and “Overflow,” 1978. Reproductions of these works will be viewed on the tour, along with parts of the house, barn and property to demonstrate how Wyeth alters the physical details of a site in order to communicate a particular idea.
Coinciding with the opening of public tours to the Kuerner Farm, the Brandywine River Museum is presenting a special exhibition, “The Kuerner Farm,” through November 21. Installed in one of the new museum galleries, the exhibition features photographs, drawings, paintings and historic artifacts related to this extraordinary Brandywine Valley farm.
For information, 610-388-2700 or www.brandywinemu seum.org.
5 Church Hill Road / Newtown, CT 06470
Mon - Fri / 8:00 am - 5:01 pm