Published: June 24, 2008
The Connecticut Firemen’s Historical Society Fire Museum reports that a circa 1880‹0 six-panel engine lamp with a red glow panel on the front containing the words “Gardner 1” is missing from the museum.
The engine lamp was originally a kerosene lamp that is now electrified; it has a red glow panel on the front and a red rear panel, it also has two blue panels and two white panels, all of which are etched or engraved with firematic scramble. It is topped with a metal eagle, wings outstretched.
The lamp was part of the original collection that formed the core of the museum, which was established in 1984 in a historic 1901 fire station at 230 Pine Street.
During the month of April, according to Wayne Crossman, vice president of the firemen’s historical society, while the museum was undergoing renovation, the lamp was covered to protect it, but it was not removed from the wall where it was mounted. When the work was finished and the museum reassembled, it was discovered that the lamp was gone, and the police were notified.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Officer Claire Hearn at the Manchester Police, 239 Middle Turnpike, Manchester CT 06045, 860-645-5500; or Wayne Crossman, 203-268-0603 or email@example.com .
5 Church Hill Road / Newtown, CT 06470
Mon - Fri / 8:00 am - 5:01 pm