Published: July 3, 2006
Antiques in the Valley marched through its second year in grand style on June 16-17 with a gate 45 to 50 percent above last year and some real solid sales for some of the 60 exhibitors. “It appears that shoppers came with a wide variety of interests and a good number of dealers reported that they sold across the board,” John Bartley, one of the show’s organizers, said. He noted that some of the exhibitors indicated that they did not do well, but as of the moment, “no dealers have said that they would not be returning.”
There were two entrances to the show and ticket sales tables were set up just inside the door. A small sign read “Admission $6,” which is a deal in anyone’s book. Do the math: a dime a look at each booth and every booth gave back your money’s worth. To top that off, a coupon gave you a dollar off the regular admission, reducing each look even more.
There was a good representation of Pennsylvania dealers including Malchione Sporting Antiques of Kennett Square, who was at the end of one of the corridors near the food area. Here one found a collection of sporting antiques, with a lean toward carved decoys and fishing equipment. Of special interest was a harbor master’s brass telescope on tripod, Nineteenth Century, and a case octant in brass, ivory and ebony, circa 1850, by Spencer Browning of London. This English company distributed over here through Thaxter & Sons of Boston. A selection of shell covered boxes in various shapes was also offered.
A two-piece corner cupboard in cherrywood, circa 1810, 12lights over two doors, was in the booth of Wesley Sessa ofPottstown, Penn., along with a Delaware Valley graduated chest ofdrawers in the Chippendale style, bracket feet and in walnut. Thiscirca 1800 piece measured 39 inches wide, 33 1/2 inches high and 193/4 inches deep.
From Fleetwood, Penn., Palmer and Virginia Smeltz showed a collection of fashion prints by Charles Allan Gilbert (1873-1929), in the original frames by Garvin Art Gallery, Pottsville, Penn.
A colorful advertising print for Atwater Kent Radios and Willard Radio Batteries, depicting two hunters after a bear, once hung in the firm of William B. Nies Jr, Hamburg, Penn. Furniture included a Dutch cupboard from Southeastern Pennsylvania in walnut, circa 1780.
Several pieces of Pennsylvania furniture were in the booth of Lake Ridge Antiques, Quakertown, including a one-drawer stand with wide overhang, grain painted in yellow, dating from the Nineteenth Century. The top measured 21 inches square and it was 30 inches high. A small dry sink, York County origin, was in the same grained paint, circa 1865, with one door and a small drawer built under one end.
A Pennsylvania worktable with two leaves was in walnut, pinethe secondary wood, Queen Anne legs, late Eighteenth Century, inthe booth of Jamestown exhibitors Jeff and Cathy Amon. Centeredagainst the back wall of the booth was a very nice paint decoratedrocker in simulated tiger maple with floral decoration, dating fromthe early Nineteenth Century.
Sue Murphy and Carol Woodbridge of Milford, N.J., showed three New Jersey samplers that had been made by three sisters, Mary Louise Smith, aged 7; Rhoda Ann Smith, aged 8, and Harriet Smith, aged 9.
“This show has the feeling of what old Pennsylvania antiques shows used to have,” Malcolm Magruder of Millwood, Va., said. This first time exhibitor at Oley offered a Lancaster County fanback Windsor side chair, circa 1780; a large hackney horse weathervane, an ample selection of silhouettes and a Hudson River view with mansion, sailboat and man fishing.
Rhoads House Antiques, Fleetwood, Penn., showed a large collection of redware and early baskets, neatly displayed on well-spaced white painted shelves. A hanging spice box with shaped backboard and porcelain knobs, ten drawers, was offered as was a tiger maple one-drawer stand with turned legs and molded top.
Stephen-Douglas Antiques of Rockingham, Vt., also first-time exhibitors at Oley, had several miniature chairs including a pair of captain’s chairs in old red paint with gold striping, circa 1850, and a yellow side chair with floral decoration across the back rail and the front of the seat. A small Shaker Windsor armchair in old red, circa 1820, was displayed on the long worktable at the front of the booth. Displayed on top of a cupboard was a large gathering basket in bright red, white and blue paint.
Pennsylvania furniture was offered by Keith & DianeFryling American Antiques, Green Lane, Penn., including aChippendale three-drawer blanket chest in the original blue paintedsurface, circa 1780, strap hinges and till, 38 inches wide,probably from either Berks or Leigh County, and a tiger maple andpine two-drawer worktable with walnut star inlay on the top,scalloped skirt, splayed legs ending in pad feet and the originalpulls. It was signed on the bottom drawer “Haines, Harrisburg.”
A painted hutch table with lift lid seat and shoe feet, circa 1840, three-board top, was shown by Joseph J. Lodge of Loderach, Penn. A Dutch cupboard in cherrywood had six-light doors, candle drawer, old surface, circa 1830, and a selection of late Nineteenth Century weathervanes included a small stag, a horse and a large rooster, all full bodied in copper with good surface.
“We really like the feeling of this show, it is comfortable, easy to set up, and no pressure,” George Allen of Raccoon Creek Antiques at Oley Forge said. Not to mention travel time; George and partner Gordon Wyckoff live three miles down the road in a property they have been restoring for the past couple of years. “We are now living in a portion of the shop and by the end of the year we hope all but the small details of this project will be completed,” Gordon said.
In a booth at the front of the show they hung a collection ofbaskets from meat hooks, positioned a painted tall case clock fromMaine, circa 1830, against a short front wall, and tiered a set ofsix painted plank seat chairs with vibrant decoration. “We usuallydo not buy brown painted chairs,” Gordon said, “but the decorationmade these extra special and we love them.” A stoneware jar had acobalt lady with either a purse or bag in her hand on one side, anda well-worn chopping block was low, red painted base, dating lateNineteenth Century.
Lebanon, Penn., exhibitor David H. Horst had a Sheraton base table in walnut with two drawers, original surface, and three-board top, along with an interesting set of three watercolors from Pottstown, Penn. These folky drawings depicted horses in red and blue, a green cat and a blue rooster.
A Pennsylvania bench table with the original red on the base, circa 1840, three-board top that measured 67 by 41 inches, was the perfect place to display three graduated yellowware bowls in the booth of Emele’s Antiques of Dublin, Penn. A Hepplewhite high chest of New England origin, original red surface on maple, original brasses, dated circa 1810.
Six Pennsylvania Windsor side chairs in apple green paint with decoration, circa 1835, was offered by Steve Smoot Antiques of Lancaster. Among the many smalls were a pierced tin coffee pot, several examples of painted tole, a child’s sled with “Albert” across the seat, a few pieces of velvet vegetables including a large carrot, and some pottery banks in the form of painted apples.
East Berlin, Penn., exhibitor Brad Selinger offered aneight-drawer apothecary in bird’s-eye maple with painted top andoriginal pulls, circa 1830, and a fine finger jointed pantry box, 65/8 inches in diameter, old blue with “Pumice” written across theside. It was in excellent condition, as was a large oval band boxin the original red wash, 23 3/4 inches long, 17 1/4 inches wideand 11 1/8 inches high. “This box is one of the largest I have everseen,” Brad said.
All three walls in the booth of The Norwoods’ Spirit of America, Timonium, Md., has a hooked rug displayed, one saying “Welcome,” a second with a large blue bird, and the third with a large butterfly. Round spice boxes and a nine-drawer spice chest were grouped together in one display.
One of the few drop-front desks in the show was in the booth of Gary Promey Antiques, Atwater, Ohio. It was of New England origin, circa 1760-90, maple with red wash and bracket feet, with a 36-inch case. A Pennsylvania tall case clock with German eight-day works, calendar hand, was in tiger maple and cherrywood, original surface, circa 1830.
Warm mustard paint covered a Pennsylvania flour/meat bin withturned feet, dovetailed case, circa 1840-60, in the booth of SaltBox Antiques of Sugarloaf, Penn. Attracting a great deal ofattention in this booth was a corner cupboard dating from the midNineteenth Century, Pennsylvania, from the Adams County area, makerunknown. It had bracket feet, butterfly shelves, spoon slots and adouble plate rack. Three other cupboards by the same maker areknown and all are in the Gettysburg area.
Gene Bertolet Antiques of Oley and Oley Valley Antiques, Fleetwood, occupied the first left-hand booth in the main room and showed a large collection of country pieces and accessories. The back wall was hung with four slaw boards of various sizes, three round bake boards, and a number of baskets. A grain painted pie safe had two doors in the front and two punched tin panels on each side. Of interest was a string of buttock baskets, all of miniature size but graduated.
Old farm Antiques, Reading, Penn., showed a small folky slant top lap desk in the original green painted surface and a large tulip quilt, 86 by 104 inches, with floral border covered most of the back wall. Two Currier & Ives prints by Thomas Worth, 1881, an artist know for his comic pictures of the American Negro, were “A Line Shot – The Aim” and “A Line Shot – The Recoil”, with the shooter taking aim down a line of clothes.
The Herrs of Lancaster, Penn., exhibited a rack filled withcoverlets and a Mariner’s Compass design quilt, circa 1890. “We areshowing this for the first time and it was found in LebanonCounty,” Don Herr said. Among several pieces of needlework was aLititz Moravian School silk embroidery worked by MargaretPennington, circa 1814, with silk and metallic sequins on silk andin the original frame with the original glass.
Greshville Antiques and Fine Art, Boyertown, Penn., hung a number of paintings including “A Drink Before The Storm,” an oil on canvas by Christopher H. Shearer (1846-1926) depicting two deer in a landscape. The work was signed lower left by the Berks County artist, measured 24 by 34 inches, and was in the original gold frame. On the back wall an oil on canvas by Ben Austrian (1870-1921), “A Rusty Perch,” showed seven chicks around and on top of a rusted tin can, 12 by 10 inches and signed lower right and dated 1901. Austrian was also a Berks County artist and the work was in a period frame.
A special loan exhibition “Coverlets and Their Makers,” was mounted in the show cases at the front of the school. All of the pieces shown were from the Oley Valley and came from private homes.
This show is produced by a group of dealers from theimmediate area who felt that a local show was needed. “We haveworked hard to put on the show for two years now, and we verypleased with the results. The area can use a show such as this oneand we will continue to make it better,” John Bartley, who with hiswife Peggy is one of the founding members of Oley Valley AntiqueEnterprises. Other members are Harry and Audrey Moseley, Jeff andDebbie Rhoads, Brian and Sue Hart, Mark and Kelli Saylor and GeneBertolet. A portion of the proceeds from the show go to the OleyValley Scholarship Fund.
The dates for this show have been set for next year, June 16-17. “We move into the high school right after the spring session ends and have only this weekend for the show as the school undergoes a major cleaning for the remainder of the summer months,” John Bartley explained. He indicated that they may up the price of admission just a bit, “in order to give more to the scholarship fund,” but it will still be a good buy. Mark your calendar.
5 Church Hill Road / Newtown, CT 06470
Mon - Fri / 8:00 am - 5:01 pm