Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:00AM
September 21, 2013 | Dallas | Live & Online
Legends of the wild west auction
Highlights from the John N. McWilliams Texas Ranger Collection
The John N. McWilliams Texas Ranger
Collection is a compelling array of more than 350 lots including images, letters, documents and assorted relics that capture 100 years (1840 to 1940) of Texas Ranger history. From the birth of the Wild West to their eventual role as lawmen, the collection contains many one-of-a-kind artifacts that capture the gallantry and dedication of the Rangers. Among the greats represented in this collection are: Jack Hays, Ben McCulloch, Samuel H. Walker, William “Big Foot” Wallace, Robert Addison Gillespie, James “Buck” Barry, Henry McCulloch, Creed Taylor, Cicero Rufus Perry, June Peak, Ira Aten, Bill McDonald, and Clarence Gray to name just a few.
For information www.ha.com
TOM SLATER Director, Americana Ext. 1441 • TomS@HA.com
SANDRA PALOMINO, Director, Texana & Historical Manuscripts Ext. 1107 • SandraP@HA.com
Free catalog and The Collector’s Handbook ($65 value) for new clients.
Please submit auction invoices of $1,000+ in this category, from any source. Include your
contact information and mail to Heritage, fax 214-409-1425, email CatalogOrders@HA.com, or
call 866-835-3243. For more details, go to HA.com/FCO.
1. C aptain John S. "RIP" Ford Half-plate Ambrotype. An in the field portrait circa 1858, the year of the Antelope Hills Campaign.
2. C aptain Samuel H. Walker Half-plate Daguerreotype Portrait, circa 1847. Estimate: $75,000-$150,000
3. B en McCulloch Signed Muster Roll for his Company of Spies, Texas Mounted Volunteers for a term of six months. January 31, 1847. Estimate: $15,000-$30,000
4. [The Death of Samuel Walker] David W. Haines’ journal containing an eyewitness account and watercolor of the death of Texas Ranger Samuel Walker. Estimate: $25,000-$50,000
5. S ilver Shooting Medal Engraved, "Rangers 2d Shot, Sept. 30, 1846"
Awarded to one of Jack Hays' Rangers. Estimate: $2,500-$5,000
6. F rontier Battalion Company "D" Group Portrait Cabinet Card, circa 1888. Captain Frank Jones' Company at the height of their
notoriety. Estimate: $8,000-$15,000
7. Ranger Private J. Walter Durbin Cabinet Card A match pair to the Schmid photo; inscribed on the verso in Durbin's hand, "J.W. Durbin and Horse Rio Grande City, Tex., Nov 10 - 1888." Estimate: $6,000-$10,000